Clients and prospects often ask how Device42’s IP Address Management (IPAM) compares with SolarWinds functionality.
Based on the information Device42 can extract from the SolarWinds website, there are many shared features between the two… and some differences, as well. (By-the-way your feedback and edits are welcomed regarding the following information.)
Capabilities Not in Device42
For example, Capabilities found in SolarWinds but not in Device42 include:
- Integrated DNS and DHCP management – Device42 cannot presently bi-directionally manage DHCP and DNS servers however, Device42 can perform poll and manage DNS but not push changes back to the DNS servers.
- IP Auto-delete – Device42 keeps a timestamp for activity but does not presently auto-delete IP information. (However, this is in the development plan.)
Capabilities Not in SolarWinds IPAM
Conversely, Device42’s IP Address Management provides capabilities not found in the SolarWinds IPAM application:
- VRF Groups – n Device42 managing overlapping IP ranges is easily managed using VRF groups. With VRF groups you can add subnets to each VRF Group and while IP addresses have to be unique per VRF group, you can have overlapping subnet ranges across VRF groups
- Subnet Tree Functionality – Device42 displays the subnet usage tree and enables changes to be made directly from the subnet tree view. (See the image below for a sample of the Subnet tree view and subnet tree editing.
- Comprehensive Device Information – In Device42, IP information is just one data element of a much larger and comprehensive linking of device information. Device42 IP addresses are linked to: device name, rack, room, sub-net, MAC address, and all of the related hardware and software dependencies (just to name a few). This information threading is a powerful feature in understanding the complex hardware, software and network interdependencies.
Powerful REST APIs – Device42 extensive API library facilitates the easy integration with other IT systems leveraging existing and future technology investments.
Bulk Data Management – Device42 allows users to import and export current data using familiar spreadsheets (whether they are xls/xlsx/csv formats) and seamlessly map columns from the spreadsheet(s) to fields in Device42.
Single, Unified Product – Device42 is a single solution of comprehensive, unified capabilities that makes the daily management IT infrastructure possible using a centralized solution and a single version of the “truth.”
The SolarWinds IPAM Migration Script
Device42 recently published a free, IP Address Management (IPAM) migration script that, using Device42’s REST APIs, enables SolarWinds IP Address Manager users to extract their IPAM data and directly import that data into their Device42 appliance.
You can find more details about the migration script from here: https://www.device42.com/migrations/solarwinds-ipam/
Comments and Edits Welcome
Again, recognizing that this comparison is based on our limited understanding of SolarWinds product and on the information found on the SolarWinds website, we welcome your comments or edits and corrections (see the comments entry below this blog post).